Prejudice To Pride: Moving From Homophobia To Acceptance
- Publish Date: 2012-01-17
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: Ann Marie Petrocelli
Prejudice to Pride: Moving from Homophobia to Acceptance describes a journey, moving from ignorance and falsehoods about gay men and lesbians toward understanding and acceptance of the gay community. The book contains the knowledge and experiences of lesbian and gay people meant to educate people about who gay people are, in the hope that people will understand and support the gay community.
The book is divided into five sections and 16 chapters covering a range of issues, including the following:
- Heterosexist parents' influence on their gay children's lives
- How gay people remain closeted or come out
- Coming out
- The role of organized religious leaders in preventing equality for gay men and lesbians
- The past labeling of homosexuality as a mental disorder and its effect on gay people's mental health
- Damage caused by homophobia
- Attitudes and beliefs and gay advocacy and equality
This interesting and informative book will serve as a valuable resource for students, educators, and practitioners.